Friday, February 26, 2010

Paraphrasing Yoda

A favorite saying of mine is by Yoda, in The Empire Strikes Back;  "...Do or do not, there is no try." Sometimes just trying is doing. I'll try just about anything once. Those who have known me a long time will attest to that fact.  I've tried all manner of foods. Snake, shark, squirrel, tongue, and chitterlins just to name a few. And lets not forget my attempt at Thai cooking that even my dog wouldn't eat. I tried that too.  Like most college students, I tried liquors that were probably better used as industrial strength degreasers.  Herbal medicine? Yep. So it's probably no surprise to them that I've decided to try a relatively unknown holistic technique I learned of over the internet to try and regain some additional use of my right hand. 

Having recovered nearly all of my mental functioning (my brother can stop laughing now) and most of my physical functioning after a major stroke 12 years ago, I'd like to have my right hand working again if I could. Now, no talk here of the 2 year rule that says your recovery is pretty much over after 2 years.  Our brains aren't nearly as static as once believed. Our attitudes, yes, our brains no. Since this gentleman is based in the UK, a visit at this time is way out of the question so I did the next best thing - decide to give the method a try for much less than the trip.

Now, it hasn't arrived yet. God willing it does. This is what I say about anything I get over the internet, even from the most reliable retailers. I understand how snake oil salesmen work. They promise the moon, and can't even deliver a piddling stress ball that looks like the moon. Another of my favorite sayings is "if it's seems too good to be true, it probably is." But, and it's a big but, there are some times and situations where you have to go out on that proverbial limb to reach a goal if you can. I happen to think a hand, particularly my hand, is worth that shot in the dark. The trick is to minimize your losses by not overextending yourself. Paying $30 through PayPal is a far cry from emptying my savings account.

 If this works, great! I'll be singing hallelujah with the angelic host on high. If it doesn't, I knew it was a long shot going in to this. If it never arrives, I know it's snake oil, and I'm not out all that much.

I'll let you know what comes of this if anything. But I simply have to try...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter comments here...