Saturday, April 26, 2014

Notes to Self, or reflections on a finished project

Just had to share while I bask in the glory of a finished project! My baby is drying as we chat. No buttons are sewn on, I just want to see if I like how these buttons look on the sweater.


Note to self: 

Next time Self, wait until your project is complete before buying buttons, and take it with you to make sure you buy what you need. Your button collection is almost as extensive as your yarn stash.

Continuing on to my next reflection: Gauge matters. I heard what you muttered under your breath when you read that one little word!  It's probably the same thing I mutter: $#@!!! gauge again. I wish I'd have taken a gauge photo before blocking but I didn't.

I do solemnly swear on my yarn stash that my unblocked gauge was 6 stitches per inch, which is EZs gauge to fit an infant who wears clothes no larger than 6 months. However, wet blocking WILL expose your real gauge. Take a look:


Yikes! 9.5 stitches over 2 inches... for an average of 4.75 stitches per inch. Over a much larger garment calling for a 6 sts/inch gauge those extra 2.5 stitches/inch would add up to some serious knitting real estate. Conversely, I know that I can use this yarn and needle size (Cascade 220 Sport Superwash on a size 6 needle, for those interested parties) for a 4.5 st/inch garter stitch garment. 

But I digress. My point here is that while bébé lives in the deep south and will not need a sweater until about November, the extra inches on this sweater are a very good thing indeed because he can't wear it now. Were this a sweater  pattern to be knitted at 6 sts/inch for an adult, I'd be in some seriously deep sneakers! Gauge matters.

Note to self:

Self, when you finally commit to making a sweater for anyone who has stopped growing, make and block the damned gauge swatch!

In the meantime, to block the BSJ I used the process in this awesome blog post from the knitting goddess Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. I'm all about passing along useful info.

Will I indulge my complicated startitis now that I have yarn and patterns? Hmmm, could be... What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter comments here...